Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Don't Deprive Yourself!

 
 
Who doesn't like a great snack or a piece of junk food every now and then? I know, I do. We call them guilty pleasures. Greetings, everyone! I'm back. I am happy to report that I have not seen any parts of an emergency room nor have I signed papers for my admittance to a hospital for over a year. That's enough catching up; let's get to the point.


If you've been following this blog or just visiting for the first time, please note that the Hold the Salt Campaign is not advocating the elimination of sodium from your diet. I am simply encouraging  the limitation of sodium chloride (NaCl). Separately, the two elements are dangerous for humans to consume. Together, the elements form a compound essential to life. Ellen Paula reminds us in her article "Health Side Effects of Salt" that consuming too much or too little salt can effect our health. With that said, please know that I am excited to report that after my initial period of cutting back my salt, I have been able to moderate what I eat by reading labels and consuming my water regularly. All the while, I have NOT stopped enjoying my comfort foods, junk foods, snacks, or other indulgences. I simply plan my meals and eat accordingly.

Some people are shocked to see me consume foods that appear high in sodium. I like a good Wendy's burger every now and then. I enjoy the fries as well. The type of bun and omission of cheese makes the difference for my sandwich. The omission of salt makes the difference for my fries. Just ask for your meal to be prepared the way you need it to eliminate the amount of sodium you consume.

I like Oreo cookies. I know exactly how many I can eat based on the sodium content. Two Double Stuffed Oreo cookies is 90 mg. of sodium. I love mac and cheese. Because I like to make it myself, I can use unsalted butter. If I use salted butter, I know I can have a few tablespoons of the ooey gooey goodness. It's all good. Really, it is. Do you know why? I have been flushing my system out with water throughout the day. I abstain from dark sodas as much as possible. I drop my lemons in my water for taste, on occasion. Now that I know my body, I can, say it with me, PLAN ACCORDINGLY (you'll see why in a moment)!

Things get a little tricky in the summer--backyard barbecue season. Can I be honest with you? All bets are off between July 4th and July 6th. I have an annual family barbecue I attend (shout out to Uncle Rick and Auntie Felicia). I look forward to Tommy's grilled sausages with peppers EVERY year. That one sausage, alone, is my daily allowance of FOOD for the day, but HAaaah MAN (D.C. colloquialism for Amen), it is so worth the back log consumption of water and guilty pleasure abstentions for two days. If I know I am to encounter a juicy grilled burger with onions, I plan accordingly. If fried fish is on the menu, I plan accordingly. If Aunt Shannon's mac and cheese is anywhere NEAR a fork in my hand, I MUST plan accordingly. There is a price to pay for everything; the week-long stay in the hospital during Christmas was a big enough wake-up call for me to get back on my plan to reduce the salt, and PLAN ACCORDINGLY!
 
Now that I know how things work, I know I can't eat those guilty pleasures every day and expect my body to process them in ONE day. It took me years to develop the stones. I don't want them inviting Sly and the Family to come take up residence now that I have them under control.

So, let's recap:

1. Sodium is necessary. Just hold it. Table salt has about 540 mg. of sodium per teaspoon. Trust that your foods have enough in them without you adding more.
2. Read your labels. See the last statement in #1.
3. Drink your water. I attempt four bottles per day (truthfully, I try 32 oz. per day). Talk to the water police who will have something to say about what brands to drink and  not drink. How much to drink or not drink. To boil, to purify, or to strain through cheese cloth or not to boil, not to purify, or not to strain through cheese cloth.  I'm not that girl. Just drink your water.
4. Enjoy your comfort foods, but plan in advance when you want to indulge.
5. Cheat day can't be every day. If you're going to indulge, be sure to get back on your flushing routine to get all parts of your body in working order.

I'm going to throw in exercise, because I am supposed to do that too. I'm a work in progress. I chase students for a living, but I'll get moving a little more often outside of the classroom (head nod to Byron Johnson and Dr. Janice Armstrong). Don't judge me, family (smile). It's real in these sweaty streets.

Until next time...LOVE YA!
 
-Y

Ellen's Article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/108381-health-side-effects-salt/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment