Sunday, December 22, 2013

A Year in Review

Yolonda is still holding the salt in order 
to prevent the growth of more kidney
stones. One of five, was dislodged after 
a small surgical procedure. Four continue

to take residence in her kidney. She is
convinced they will either pay rent or
dissolve due to her lifestyle change. Either
way, Yolonda is claiming victory over her
health.

I can hardly believe a year has passed since the pain in my side and incessant regurgitation sent me to the hospital for a week to reveal I had kidney stones. It was the second time I missed Christmas, but the first time I missed out on a week of life's events, marveling at the snow, and delivering my Christmas cookie dough. I remember the kind nurses who attended to me. I remember the nurses who ignored me. I remember the smell of the antiseptic before the technicians drew my blood what seemed like every hour for five days. One tech was convinced he was the best as I encouraged him to use my right arm because the veins in my left arm were obstinate. He soon discovered that, somehow, the well was dry and would draw nothing. He finally humbled himself and used the right arm (pun intended). Day after day, the nurses had to find new vein portals because I seemed to have nothing left to give, not even in my finger...but God!

I remember my husband being by my side every step of the way---sleeping on the hard hospital coach in between work shifts. He ate every single slice of cake I had baked the night before I got sick. I know because my nose tingled from the scent of the lemon extract I used in the pound cake. It was rich, but my poor health would only allow me to imagine the taste. His meal time joy was finding out that a Roy Rogers had opened up in our area (Christmas dinner). 

I also remember, after a few moments of hallucinations from the drugs, I kept seeing demonic images (that dang dilaudid and percocet). I made my verbal will on the third day of my hospital stay because the doctors seemed to keep pumping me with those same drugs but my condition didn't improve. I remember the moment I asked for my cell phone and sent out a prayer request on Facebook because I remembered you, my praying friends. I remembered who I served and I knew how to pray for myself. FB family, you answered the call, and I re-learned a very valuable lesson: 


P.U.S.H. "Pray Until Something Happens,"---author unknown.

It was on the fourth night I remember my husband bringing movies for me to watch. I was partially clean from dilaudid, and I was able to contain the vomit spells for two hours at a time. By noon the next day, I demanded to have the stent placed in my kidneys to dislodge the stone that interrupted my life. 

On December 20, 2013, I felt the same pain as I did a year ago. I propped my feet in my classroom after the children left. I prayed. I drank my water. I rested. I didn't let "it" take control of me. By the evening, I felt better. I am able to manage my health. I am able to pray with confidence. Something happened in a year's time; My faith increased beyond my imagination. My life, beyond my health, improved because of my faith.

This holiday, I'm thankful for the little things because Christ is so BIG. I am thankful for a husband who truly committed to the vows "in sickness and in health." That card has been played many times in our marriage. He gets a renewed get out jail free card for Christmas. I am thankful for my sister and brother-cousins, sister and brother-friends, my co-workers/admin team (they didn't replace me while I was out for two separate weeks of recovery), and family who wish me well throughout the year on Facebook and beyond. I am thankful for the support groups who helped me with recipes and the needed push to monitor my sodium intake---P2P, Marguerite, Tamara, and Angel. I am thankful for the meals that have been prepared, Chef Sara Simmons, and the Sheri's Berries deliveries. I am thankful for my school's cafeteria staff members who always give me extra vegetables. I am thankful for the investments you all have made to my classroom ministry. I am thankful for my aunts who treat me like their own in the absence of my mom and uncles who called and visited me in my time of need. I'm thankful for my dad who faithfully ushers me into my work day with early morning phone calls on my one-hour commute. I am thankful for arriving home safely, each day despite the fact that I doze off after being gone from 6:30 to 9 at night four days a week. I am thankful for the students who allow me the chance to reach them. I am just thankful not to be tied to a machine that checks my vitals.

Here's to another year of thanksgiving this Christmas season. In the words of my grandfather, CHRIST is the Messiah And Savior. Merry CHRISTMAS).

Love,
-Y

No comments:

Post a Comment