Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Cook at Home

Don't let the picture fool you. This is not what I ate. In fact, mine had vegetables in it. The outcome just wasn't as selfie-friendly. However, it was darn good. I cooked at home.

It has been quite a while since I've been on the campaign trail with Hold the Salt. I mostly regret it because these blogs hold me accountable. One cheat day turned into multiple cheat days. I fell off the horse by not watching EVERYTHING I ate, but I compensated for my failure by continuing to drink my water. The good news: I've been watching my sodium intake well enough that I have kept myself out of the hospital, and there have been no recurring attacks from the five kidney stones that still live inside my body (going on 2 years in March).

A new chapter in my life is beginning to open, so I have to be more diligent about what goes into my body. That said, I was reminded of my family's inherited fight with kidney issues. I had conversations with family from as close as 15 minutes away in the next county to as far as 9 hours away in Abu Dhabi about our family's kidney failure history. As I stopped the tears from the latest health news in my family to thinking about Grandma's passing due to so many health complications, it was no question how my future meals would be prepared--COOKED AT HOME the majority of the time (at least five times per week for all meals).

Now back to the picture above...

I love IHOP's corned beef hash omelette with three pancakes on the side. I used to live for the day someone asked, "Wanna go to IHOP?" Duh?! It was a no brainer what I was going to order. Well, since 2012, I've only been able to eat half that order. Even still, that meal, alone, has a sodium intake of 3,630. Yeh...smh. It's about two plus days worth of the intake for colored girls who considered food suicide when bacon and eggs weren't enough (toasts Ntozake Shange, now sips water--both me and my dog, Kobe).  Instead of going into a sodium coma, this morning, I decided to create a breakfast as equally satisfying and cutting the intake down by 2,850 mg. (I also cut out the pancakes); It can be done without ANY salt added.

Here you go:

1/2 cup of Corned Beef Hash (410 mg.)
2 eggs (180 mg.)
1/4 cup of mild cheddar (170 mg.)
Saute the following raw veggies in olive oil:
1 cup of spinach (16 mg.)
.33 ounces of chopped onions (6 mg.)
.33 ounces. of tomatoes (6 mg.)
.33 ounces. of mushrooms (4 mg.)

Cook the corned beef in olive oil. Set to the side. Saute the veggies. Pour your eggs (beat before pouring) over the veggies. Add the corned beef. Flip again. Add your cheddar and tomatoes. Enjoy.

You may have your own version of making an omelette. I'm just sharing mine. Have fun with the ingredients and drink your water. I'll check back with my progress as I get back on the wagon...again.

SINGING: "WE FALL DOWN, BUT WE GET UP!"

Love y'all!

-Y


No comments:

Post a Comment