Friday, January 25, 2013

Go Half on a...



After watching my cousin Aye play with his teammates in the MD Parks and Recreation Basketball League, it was natural for dinner to follow. I was just a week into my new life outside the home. I am now "That Chick," who has special dietary needs. Therefore, choosing a place to eat is based on the establishment's food preparation and salt content in its meals. Before confirming our dining choice, I referred to last week's post about eating out, downloaded the PDF nutrition fact sheet for Ruby Tuesday, and set out to create an appropriate meal that was less than 1,500 mg. of sodium.

I wanted something fried, saucy, and creamy, but I clearly had enough of that in my system. So I settled on something blackened, mashed, and green. I was sure I'd still be hungry after my meal. However, I was more than satisfied. I wanted to push the envelope a bit and try dessert. Tiramisu was my choice.

I couldn't wait to dig into the lady finger goodness with a hint of rum and espresso shavings. I took three slow motion strokes into my heavenly delight when my cousin Tee, Aye's mom, asked, "Are you sure you can eat that?" It was an ugly truth, but I didn't know if I could or not. With still half a slice to go, I really wanted to devour my sweet treat. What was I to do?

This week's post is for anyone who ever runs into a similar situation. The advice sounds simple enough, but it is a great reminder when you too have a delectible treat batting its eyes at you. Eat half. You'll begin to create your own version of Now and Later treats.

Happy Eating!

P.S. The slice of Tiramisu contained only 55 mg. of sodium. The remaining slice from dinner went well with my half container of a chicken cantina bowl (wink) the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment