Sunday, July 21, 2013

What does it all look like?

Stock Photo
Greetings, Hold the Salt Campaign members! I have made a few cameo appearances this summer, and I was often asked by family and friends, "What are you doing [to lose weight]?" I want to go on record as noting that my weight loss is an effect of me taking control of my health. The answer:

1. I do not add table salt to my meals.
2. I calculate my sodium intake.
3. I measure my food.
4. Water is my drink of choice (I attempt four 16.9 ounces each day). My second drink of choice is lemonade (as close to fresh as possible). http://www.holdthesaltcampaign.b
logspot.com/2013/05/lemonade.html

4. I have increased my fresh fruit and vegetable intake.
5. I make my own salad dressings. Check out www.lowsodiumcooking.com

Following this routine has caused me to lose almost 40 pounds. I have only started going to the gym and walking when my summer vacation began.

The Hold the Salt Campaign was originally started to increase awareness about the types of food we eat with high sodium content in an effort to help people 1. monitor their kidney and heart related illnesses through diet and 2. to encourage those who don't have health issues just to eat better so they won't have to develop unnecessary illnesses due to a high sodium diet.

Since January, I have moderated my sodium intake, first at 3000 milligrams (mg) per day. Pump the breaks, I know health critics will say, "3000 mg is still a lot. The average for most should be 2300 mg and 1500 for those ages 51 and over or African Americans." Yes. You are absolutely correct. I like to counter it with the following: My average Saturday intake used to be 5065 mg. What did that look like?

Breakfast (Prepared at home)
3 pancakes with syrup (680 mg. + 140 mg.)
2 pieces of turkey bacon (400 mg.)
2 eggs with cheese (340 mg.)
16 oz. of orange juice (15 mg.)
TOTAL: 1575 mg.

Lunch
1 Chic-fila-A sandwich deluxe w/cheese (1510 mg.)
1 medium Chic-fil-A waffle fries (180 mg.) not bad, actually They don't add salt.
1 lemonade (45 mg.)
TOTAL: 1735 mg.
Dinner: Let's say I've been running around completing errands, visiting friends, and don't feel like cooking. What do many people do? Pick up a pizza, some take out or something. Let's go with a favorite. Pizza. I am going to go with the best value. Little Caesar's $5 pizza because I may have just spent $200 on groceries.

3 slices of pepperoni (560 mg. per slice)
16 oz. of juice (75 mg.)
TOTAL: 1755 mg.Other popular establishments:
Pizza Hut = 890 per slice
Papa  John's = 610 mg. per slice
Domino's = 920 mg. per slice)
NOTE: I didn't drink ANY water. Sigh. Whoa is me.

With the above diet, I was creating a home for kidney related illnesses. The Mayo Clinic provides a great explanation on what I and others face when consuming too much sodium. The staff of the Mayo Clinic writes, "Some people's bodies are more sensitive to the effects of sodium than are others. If you're sodium sensitive, you retain sodium more easily, leading to fluid retention and increased blood pressure. If this becomes chronic, it can lead to heart disease, stroke, kidney disease and congestive heart failure." See the full article: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

The best thing we can do for our health is look at what we're eating and how much we're eating. Take a look the image below. Which plate is your reality?

 
 
Prior to December 22, 2012, the plate to the right was my reality; it was usually accompanied by a piece of bread (add another 200 mg. or more of sodium). Now, I often eliminate rolls from my diet. In the past, my salad (next to the corn) would likely be doused with Italian dressing (add 340 mg. of sodium per 2 tablespoons). I now make my own salad dressing (85 mg. per tsp.). Note: The plate to the left includes salad. It is just under the steak. My new eating habits don't eliminate my favorite foods, I just modify how they are prepared and cut most meals in half.
 
For instance, I only ate 1/3 of the size of steak as the one on the right (about 85 mg.); it is seasoned with rosemary and garlic (65 mg. of sodium per 1/4 tsp.) v. season salt (350 mg. of sodium per 1/4 tsp.) Corn on the cob does not contain sodium, adding 1 tbs. of butter or margarine is about 90 mg. of sodium. Instead of a full serving of mac and cheese, I had 1/4 cup of the yummy goodness(approximately 400 mg. of sodium). Guess where I get most of the flavor? Which is the real entrée? The mac and cheese is the meal. Total sodium intake for the meal on the left: 595mg. Total sodium intake for the meal on the right: 1395 mg.
 
Let's take calculate one more meal. I know breakfast comes first, but hey...I ate waffles in college for dinner FIRST and then my meal. Work with me.
 
My typical breakfast during the week includes 1 cup of Safeway Crunchy Granola Raisin Bran (180 mg. of sodium) with a 1/2 cup of 2% milk (62.5 mg. of sodium).  A typical Saturday breakfast still includes pancakes, bacon, and eggs. However, I prefer pork bacon which allows me to consume two strips at 200 mg. of sodium total to 1 strip of turkey back at 200 mg. of sodium. Instead of three pancakes, I eat two. I usually eliminate cheese from my scrambled eggs (-200 mg.), and I only add pepper (0 mg. of sodium). This is a very big breakfast (792 mg. of sodium). I usually consume a breakfast this robust in sodium when I'm a. planning to eat light for the rest of the day or b. I've noticed my weight is dropping. To minimize the sodium, I just eat one piece of bacon and one egg---simple fix. The same breakfast at IHOP (two, two, and two) is 1790 mg. of sodium.

Please know that I'm not encouraging you stop eating what you like or even stop eating at your favorite establishments. This blog is to encourage better eating habits so you can be at your healthiest state in mind, body, and spirit. Now that you know what it all looks like, be conscious of what you digest.

Until next time...drink at least 4 bottles of water and eat fresh fruit and vegetables. When you're ready to hold the salt, come on back and get some tips.

Here's to your health.
-Y
 
Resources:
Calculate your own Chic-fil-A meal in the future if you want to monitor your sodium, caloric, or any kind of intake. It won't hurt to know what you put into your system.
http://www.chick-fil-a.com/food/meal

Moderate your IHOP meal in advance.
http://www.ihop.com/-/media/ihop/PDFs/nutritionalinformation.ashx

What's in your salad dressing?
http://www.wish-bone.com/product/detail/96863/wish-bone-robusto-italian-salad-dressing

To see the nutritional facts for other popular restaurants, please check out my archived post "Let's Eat Out." Click: http://www.holdthesaltcampaign.blogspot.com/2013/01/lets-eat-out.html

No comments:

Post a Comment