Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Eating with flavor

 


 
Ah! The joys of cooking at home are great, especially when you're not pressured to meet a deadline, beat rush hour traffic, or scheduled for various meetings on a random Wednesday. It is summer time! I crave fresh fruits and vegetables. A crisp mixed green salad with ripe, locally-grown red tomatoes pair well with sizzling chicken fajitas and a cool glass of lemonade (see http://holdthesaltcampaign.blogspot.com/2013_05_01_archive.html). Having volunteered as the online food guinea pig, I was able to create such a meal at 630 milligrams (mg.) of sodium (add additional sodium from your favorite low sodium, homemade dressing for the salad).

A chicken fajita meal at Apple Bee's is 4500 mg. So before disclosing my method, I want my health critics to pause before turning up their noses. This option is a diet recipe compared to what's out there. This site offers alternatives. There are clearly other ways to prepare this meal with less than 630 mg. of sodium, this is what has been tested in my kitchen, affords me the taste I require, and still remain within my recommended daily allowance of sodium (1500 mg. regularly, 2300 mg. on a tough day, when I'm outright disobedient, no more than 3000 mg.). So, please be aware that a frozen, preserved meat option is used in my suggestion. It's the best I could find without sacrificing my health or taste. Therefore, if you desire to prepare your chicken and monitor your own flavor, I encourage it. So here we go!

I happened upon a great product at Sam's Club called Chef Daily Mesquite Grilled Chicken. A 3 ounces (oz.). filet is only 390 mg of sodium. Here's the best news: The filets are free of hormones, free of steroids, and contain 0 grams  (g) of trans fat. Happy? Me too. Several things can be done with one filet; eat it as an entree, add it to your salad, or make fajitas! The smoked flavor is enough to season any side item you scoop on top or mix with a fork like plain rice, plain broccoli, or grilled onions and peppers. This product is best prepared wrapped and baked in aluminum foil (375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes). It maintains the juices and keeps the chicken tender. It caramelizes well too. There is a microwave option. I don't recommend it unless you're in a hurry (2 filets for 3.5 to 4.5 minutes or until hot).

While your chicken is baking, cut up fresh onions, red peppers, and green peppers. Otherwise, if you're like me, buy the prepared fajita vegetable pack sold at most grocery stores (I'm not the best dicer and slicer in the world. Injuries occur too often. I know my limitations).  Prepare a skillet with a tablespoon or more of vegetable oil (lol...vegetable oil for the veggies). Throw those peppers and onions in there until they have that grilled look but still remain firm (I'm not a chef. So pardon me if I don't use the correct words. I'm an eater who likes to cook). I have some more good news for you! The vegetables don't have any sodium. I call these FFS foods---Free From Salt foods.

"Okay, "Y," the chicken is 390 mg. of sodium and the vegetables are 0 mg. of sodium. Where do the other 240 mg, of sodium come from? Help me out," you ponder.

If you decide to use a tortilla wrap, please read the label for the sodium contents. I used wraps by Guerrero. Each contain 240 mg.  of sodium. Even more good news. Wait for it. Wait for it. This product has 0 g. of trans fat. There may be wraps with less milligrams of sodium also containing no trans fat. Just be diligent about reading the labels. Again, you're always welcome to make your own. There are plenty of recipes. Choose the one that's best for you.

Okay, let's recap.
One serving = 630 mg. of sodium
3 oz. chicken filet (prepared your way with monitored seasonings) or 1 Chef Daily Mesquite Grilled Chicken filet (bake) 390 mg.
Sliced onions, red peppers, and green peppers as much as you can handle (grilled in a skillet). 0 mg.
1 flour tortilla (wrap the meat and veggies) about 240 mg.


Add a salad, drink lemonade or water with a lemon, and enjoy!

To read more information about the product mentioned in this entry, visit http://www.samsclub.com/sams/daily-chef-mesquite-grilled-chicken-fillet-2-9-lbs/prod4210220.ip

Happy Eating!
-Y

No comments:

Post a Comment